Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


My Dad and I, 1979
Well, it's Father's Day and I thought I should take a minute to post on here about just how lucky I am on this day! When I think about my dad, I can't help but get a little emotional about how lucky I am to have him as MY dad! My dad is one of those people who you can ALWAYS count on, no matter what. I cannot remember a time in my life where I have ever felt let down by my dad, or where he wasn't willing to rescue me out of whatever situation I was in at the time! He does have his ways that we all know are so "him", like how he is always constantly checking on us to make sure we do the right things in life, or how he has been saying he is going to move to Michigan "any day now" since I was five years old. He does many things that get on my nerves, like drawing little stick figures in permanant marker on my kids hands and arms EVERY time they're with him, or taking them on crazy rides on the ATV when they're over there. These are the things though, that although I get worked up about them in the moment, that are the most special! My kids have grown to love these things, and they even love how I get so worked up about it, like, "haha look what we did with Grampa!" These are the things my kids will never forget and that will always be etched in their hearts when they think about their grandfather!

One of my favorite memories with my dad is when he and I got to go on a "date" just the two of us! I remember dressing up in this long pink dress that I loved (my mom hated and would never have let me out of the house in it on any other occasion - which I NOW understand), and I had saved up $25 from my piggy bank. At the time the only restaraunt I had heard of in Loomis, was Lorenzo's and I had never eaten there, so I insisted we go there for our date! We went to Lorenzo's all dressed up and had dinner. Growing up, my brother and I always knew we had to order water when eating out with my parents because my dad was a bit of a penny pincher and didn't want to splurge for sodas. I remember this night, ordering soda since I knew I was going to pay for it anyway and my dad didn't say a word. I don't remember most of dinner, but at the end, I insisted on paying for the meal! He, of course, wouldn't let me pay for it and I remember wondering at the time if it was because it was too expensive and I didn't have enough money, but he didn't want me to feel bad about that so he just said he wanted to pay for it.
A few other times that always come to mind when I think back to my childhood are planting Christmas trees every saturday morning for what seemed like FOREVER, and listening to oldies in the car with him on family vacations. My mom would be snoring and him and I would be in the car singing to the oldies. My dad always had funny little names for my friends that would come over to our house, like Anna Banana and Sunny Summer! At the time I was mortified, but now I love that he has given me these things to remember. My dad is one of those people who is always honest at all costs. Not that I'm not honest, but he really takes it to the extreme. I'm glad that he IS this way, because it is something I can always rely on and know that he is someone that is trustworthy. I'm glad that he has instilled his strong values in ME.

View this montage created at One True Media
Father's Day Montage 6/15/08

Why else am I lucky on this Father's Day? Because my children have also been blessed with a great daddy. I was making a movie montage (which you can watch by clicking on Hayden above) of pictures and videos of Obee with the kids last night for him for Father's Day, and watching all the videos of him playing with the kids, I fell in love with him all over again! I'm so happy that my children have a father who isn't afraid to change their diapers, swing on the swings with them, have a dance party in the living room with them, and work in their classes when he's practically the ONLY dad there! I'm proud that he has taught them that cooking isn't only something that women are supposed to do, and that a man can cook for his family or, whoever, and actually enjoy it too! I mean really, what would we do if he didn't cook?! We all know MY cooking abilities aren't really up to par!
Well, I'm trying not to sound too sappy, but I am thankful to have them both in my life and just felt like what better day to say so, than today! I really love these guys! :)




No comments: