Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hospital Tour Tomorrow

There are SO many things that have to be done before Evan's surgery, and I feel like I'm drowning in all of it.  Besides all the normal stuff, like paying bills, taking care of the kids, chores, etc, there is paperwork, appointments, research that has to be done and I feel like if I miss just one thing, everything will fall to pieces.  Does that even make sense? 

I can't shake the idea out of my head that I want to have some nice professional photos taken of Evan with the family before the surgery.  People get angry with me when I say I want the pictures taken, "just in case" something goes terribly wrong, so I guess I'll make everyone happy and call them his 1yr pictures.  I'm trying to be positive, but I'm also the type of person that likes to think through every possible situation so I can deal with things better, even if they aren't happy thoughts.

On Friday, I spoke with a child life specialist at the hospital named Sara.  I wanted to set up a hospital tour for our family, so we have a better idea of what to expect.  I want the kids to be able to see where Evan will be, so they aren't at school the day of the surgery just wondering and imagining something worse happening.  Without scaring them, we really want them to be as involved as possible, as they love and worry about Evan just as much as we do.  Heck, Ellie practically thinks he's HER baby!  Our Child Life Specialist wanted to set the tour up for the same day that he will have all of his pre op work done (three days before surgery), but I told her I would prefer it sooner.  Plus, I didn't want to take the kids that day, because they will be doing xrays, blood work, and who knows what else on Evan that day.  I would prefer to focus on HIM that day, and not be chasing Jordyn down the halls of the hospital.  Also, I'm not really a patient person, and want the tour myself!  Needless to say, our hospital tour is set up for Tomorrow morning at 9am!  My mom said she wants to come too (which I'm grateful for) so now we just need to arrange the carseats so we all fit in the van somehow.  (Wish me luck on that one!)   I'm sure Hayden and Ellie's school will NOT be happy about the kids missing school for the morning, but ya know what....sometimes there are things that are more important.

I'll try to update tomorrow after our hospital tour!  Maybe I'll even take some pictures if they will let me.

I also just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to respond on facebook, call us, and just let us know that you're thinking about us.  I will admit, I'm not very religious, but it means SO much to know that others are also thinking of Evan and praying for him to be strong and for everything to go well.  I know that everyone has busy lives of their own, and it's comforting to know that we have help and support out there if we need it.  In just this short period of time, we have realized how many great people we have in our lives, and it's easier to see who your real friends are when you go through something like this.  The ones who take the time just to let you know they're thinking of you.  The ones who offer to help, even when you don't really have anything for them to do.  It's nice just to know they're there for you, ya know?

1 comment:

Kathy and Ed said...

It's so nice to be back to the blog. I think it's a great idea. The kids and I can keep up on everything while they are here. Thanks, we love you!