Once we got there, we still had to wait about another 1 1/2 hours before we got to see him. I had to have someone show my which parts went where on the hospital breast pump, so we did sort of sneak our way into the PICU hoping we would see him when they wheeled him to his room. We got lucky! About 10 (doctors, surgeon, nurses, etc) wheeled him right past us. They stopped and let us give him kisses. This was the first time today that I actually broke down and cried. I was SO happy to see him though, and he looked so much better than I had expected him to look! The 10 people who wheeled him to his room, stayed in the room for a couple hours. Once they started to clear out a bit, we were allowed to go in to visit him, two people at a time. Around 3pm (I think) he began to wake up, so they took the breathing tube out so he could begin to breathe on his own.
He was doing so GREAT! Once the anesthesia wore off, it was a different story though. He has been completely uncomfortable, irritated, crying, grunting, twisting, turning, and his blood pressure going up because of this. He do this really mad grunting/crying thing for 30 seconds, then sleep for 30 seconds...over and over again. He did this for about 3 1/2 hours. They keep pumping him full of fentanyl, versed, toridol, benadryl, and finally precedex..... I've lost track of them all. They are being very cautious and just giving him a tiny bit at a time though. He finally decided to rest a few minutes ago, without three of us restraining him from twisting around off the bed, or onto his tummy.
That three hours was WAY more draining and stressful than waiting for him to come out of surgery! There is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain, and not being able to do anything for him! To make matters worse, the first two hours of that, the nurses kept asking me to leave because they thought it was my smell (and him wanting to comfort nurse) that was upsetting him! Finally, when I noticed that he was still upset, even with me being gone, I put my foot down and said we were staying in there with him! If he's going to be upset, I'd rather be with him, even if there's nothing I can do personally to make it better! The nurses, and everyone really, have been so great though. He has a nurse in his room ALL the time and they are all so nice.
I just hope that he will sleep through the night now, so he can begin to heal and recover! Will update again tomorrow. Thank you for your comments too, and all of the wonderful comments on facebook!!! Lindsey, I tried to find you on FB and can't, so maybe you can find me. I'm sure my name is a little less common! haha.
Also, thank you so much Alis, Christine, Erin, Haley, Mom, Dad, and everyone else who has been helping us with the other three kids! You all really made this day much better than it would have been if I had had to worry about Ellie, Jordyn, and Hayden!
Thank you for all of the delicious meals too! I don't know what we would have done without them here, as it's been virtually impossible to leave to eat. It's hard enough getting to our "kitchen" so I can't imagine if we had to actually leave the hospital to eat! We are so lucky!
| Just out of the operating room |
| Uncomfortable but FINALLY deciding to give in to the meds and go to sleep! (Hopefully for the night) |



11 comments:
so sweet and such a little fighter. lots of prayers to Evan and you guys xoxoxoxo
Thanks so much for the report. He has been in our thoughts all day. Cooper told me they talked about little Evan at school today. Praying these next few days are full of recovery and peace. ulvar
It's one thing to hear or read about Evan and another to see the pictures. It's awful go see him so restrained and with all of that equipment but it's all a part of the healing process and I'm glad to hear he's in such good hands. Love you all.
It's 3:30 and I tried to call the nurse. She says you are sleeping and then she was about to tell me about Evan and said, I have to go he is waking up!. So now I have to guess it's been a long night. Kisses to you all. I fell asleep at 9 and missed all your texts sorry. Call me when you can, a bit worried here....Gramma
Wow Mandy you are doing a fantastic job. You are such a great mom and person and i just wish i could stretch across the miles and give you a big hug. Hang in there, you are amazing. So glad to hear the surgery went well. Sending kisses to Evan and praying for him to have a quick and full recovery.
Ange
Thank you for keeping us updated on Evan.....I have been thinking about you and him non-stop!! I also want to thank you for setting an example of strength for us moms...you are truly an inspiration to us all!!! Your little baby is being protected by angles and all the love and prayer from your friends and family!! Before you know it him and Carissa will be chasing each other around the park!! All our love to you and your family!!!
I would love to bring you some food, im not a great cook but im sure I could whip something up!! :)
This is the hardest part, where Evan is going to be hurting sometimes and doesn't understand why. Hang in there Mandy & Obee. Praying for a quick recovery.
Oh boy...tough to see and hear what you guys are going through. I am praying for better days ahead, starting NOW! Your blog is the best, you are a great storyteller, so detailed, it's like were all there with you! Lots of love and prayers for you and yours...
I am so glad to hear that the surgery was a success and that he is on the road to recovery. I am sorry that he has been having a rough time. I hope they are able to get his pain medication under control so that he can rest more easily. (((HUGS)))
April1979
Oh! He looks SOOO good coming out of surgery! Yay!
He's so beautifully pink. What an awesome sign.
He's perfect. And you're both so very strong.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I appreciate that you're thinking of all of us, as we don't want to bug you for details that aren't ours.
I hope and pray tonight and every night from here on out just gets easier and easier.
Post a Comment